1814 - Music
- Program Title
- Degree Designation
- Program Level
- Instruction Mode
- On Campus
- Program Description
- This program is developed to prepare students for private studio teaching and/or further graduate study for careers in professional performance and college teaching.
- College of Liberal Arts
37 credits: course, course, course, course, course, course, course, course, course, course, course, course. 4 semesters of applied major (must pass 200 level). 4 semesters of performing organization. 4 semesters of course.
3 credits music electives.
Admission To Teacher Education: 0
Upper Division Writing Met
Students fulfill the University's Upper Division Writing Requirement by successfully completing course.
Successful admittance into an applied studio is required for all music majors. See department website for specific requirements for each applied studio.
A grade of C" or above in all music classes is required for all music major or minor degree programs. A "C-" in a music course is not considered a passing grade for the music major." All students will demonstrate functional piano skills as a requirement for graduation. Students satisfy this requirement by successfully completing the degree curriculum. See department for details.
See program website for additional information.
Music - Jazz Concentration
Core: MUSM 101, MUSM 111, MUSM 125, MUSM 202, MUSM 205, MUSM 212, MUSM 303, MUSM 313, MUSM 352, MUSM 353, MUSP 373. 4 semesters of applied major (must pass 200 level). 4 semesters of performing organization. 1 semester of class piano. Jazz Concentration: MUSM 229, MUSM 423, MUSM 433, MUSM 434, MUSM 468, MUSM 469. 2 semesters of MUSP 157 or MUSP 158. 2 credits of applied major.
3 credits of music electives
Music - Composition Concentration
64 credits: MUSM 101, MUSM 111, MUSM 125, MUSM 202, MUSM 205, MUSM 212, MUSM 303, MUSM 313, MUSM 352, MUSM 353, MUSP 373, MUSP 497. 4 semesters of applied major (must pass 200 level). 4 semesters of performing organization. 1 semester of class piano. MUSP 102, MUSM 304, MUSM 402, MUSM 403, MUSM 433, MUSM 434, MUSM 435, MUSM 437. 2 semesters of MUSP 401. 1 semester of MUSM 438 (fulfills 3 credits B.A. elective). 6 semesters of MUSP 100.
- 1. Understand and be able to apply analytical, aural, and keyboard skills in a variety of musical situations.
- 2. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of a diverse body of music in its historical and cultural context, and articulate the relationships between music, the arts, and other disciplines.
- 3. Apply music technology in its various forms.
- 4. Apply principles of technique and musicianship appropriate to the intermediate level in the performance of music from diverse styles and time periods in both solo and ensemble settings.
- 5. Demonstrate ability to think critically and act independently at a high level as a life-long musical creator, scholar, and performer.
- 6. Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively -- musically, verbally and in writing — and adapt to diverse contexts and audiences.