AHS325 - Rocks and Minerals
- Course Number
- Course ID
- Course Level
- Instruction Mode
- Atmospheric & Hydrologic Sciences
- Physical and chemical properties of minerals, and igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic rocks. Hand-sample identification. Prereq.: AHS 220, CHEM 210.
- Cross Listed Courses
Goals and Diversity
- MN Goal Course
- MN Goal Designation(s)
- Cultural Diversity
- Students will test, describe, and identify rocks and minerals in hand samples.
- Students will discuss and use the classification of rocks and minerals according to standard schemes.
- Students will relate mineral properties to crystal structure.
- Students will use phase diagrams as they relate to the origin of rocks and minerals.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of the genesis of igneous, metamorphic and sedimentary rocks.
- Students will use microscopes to study rock and mineral samples in drill cuttings.