PESS122 - Lifelong Health and Fitness
- Course Number
- Course ID
- Course Level
- Instruction Mode
- Study of appropriate physiological and psychological aspects to gain knowledge, experiences, and skills needed to develop and maintain a healthy and fit lifestyle.
- Cross Listed Courses
Goals and Diversity
- MN Goal Course
- MN Goal Designation(s)
- Cultural Diversity
- Define Wellness and Fitness and describe parameters that comprise good physical health.
- Explain why CV endurance is the most important component of fitness and how the main energy systems contribute to various forms of physical exertion.
- Determine body composition and explain the importance of a desirable ratio of lean to fat body tissue.
- Describe the benefits of having reasonable flexibility and how it relates to low back pain.
- Explain the overload principle and how one maintains appropriate muscle strength and /or endurance throughout one's lifetime.
- Identify the major lifestyle behaviors that are associated with heart disease and describe how to reduce one's risk.
- Identify the risk factors and warning signs for various forms of cancer, diabetes, and osteoporosis.
- Describe the role of heredity, exercise and diet in weight control.
- Describe how the body responds to stress, identify potential stressors and establish strategies to reduce stress.
- Describe healthy choices to ensure lifetime fitness.